Visit My Tumblr Page Here

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

An Ever Upward Journey...

I dream a lot about what life will be like for our daughter when they’re grown. I think abut things both in and out of their control. Sometimes I even succumb to worry…I guess what parent doesn’t? Then there will be a point when their generation will be the ones running things – businesses, families, schools, government, etc. etc. These thoughts not only cross most parents’ minds, but most adult’s minds for that matter.


I am very privileged to be married to a high school band teacher. It allows me to stay connected with the up and coming generation. An additional perk is the opportunity to chaperone trips as far away as Europe and as close as Indiana.



The past six days I’ve spent with 125 students and 9 chaperones in The Big Apple – NYC – The City that Never Sleeps (or barely does…) I feel a responsibility to both these kids and adults that don’t have the opportunity to spend time with younger generations to “spread the word.”



I have some news that might be shocking to you. After every trip with Maine West High School music students, I come back more confident, hopeful, and enthusiastic about what the future holds. During these trips, I witness the student’s social and problem solving skills, their humor and intelligence. They are cautious and curious. They look out for one another and respect authority. They’re aware, sensitive, and inspired by arts and beauty. They question the impact of environmental, social, and personal actions and do their “small part” to be a positive contribution.



I also know many of the parents and teachers and am encouraged by the values, responsibility, and respect they’ve instilled in these young adults. Throughout the past, we’ve kept in touch with many past students and they are now adults actively contributing to our communities and thoughtfully reminiscing about their times on these trips.



We are all a reflection of what has gone before us. These students are a direct reflection of us. An “upgrade” so to speak – Generation 2.0. Witnessing students like these is not new for me. After doing this the past twelve years as I support my husband’s passion for music and youth. I’ve always been hopeful, but with each passing year I become more confident in these kids. My hope for them is that they keep their vigor and enthusiasm as they grow up and begin making choices for themselves and others. And…very importantly…that they never stop having fun!



New York’s Motto is the Latin word Excelsior which translates to “Ever Upward” currently referring to physical, spiritual, mental, and social progress. That’s what I see these 125 kids doing…progressing upward with the limitless opportunities ahead of them through the amazing potential they possess…and if they’re a reflection of other youth I am encouraged. I’m going to sit back and enjoy this ride. It’ll be a trip! BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop